So, Brad and I have known each other for over two and a half years. I remember the first time we met. Our ward has ward temple night once a month, and after the temple, we like to get together for ice cream or some other dessert. My roomie, Courtney, was on the temple committee, so the social was at our house. Many people arrived at our home before the girls and I made it back.
I remember walking in the front door and seeing a new guy and thinking "Ryan Thomas sure has a cute new roomie." And the rest is history……….j/k! We were introduced and chatted a bit. Brad and his roomies had just moved in and wanted to meet some people in their new ward, so they came to the social.
Church and Work, Does it Get Any Better?! -
Not only were we in the same singles' ward, but we also worked together at PwC. I thought this was great because we got to see each other every day. Not only did we work together, but we were in the same group of Private Company Services (PCS), so we sat a row away from each other. I had a little crush on him, but I figured he didn't like me that way because he never asked me out.
Time passed and we got to know each other in group settings and became very good friends. We have so many of the same interests, so it was natural to do so many things together. We each dated different people and had experiences that made us who we are today.
Apparently, Brad didn't think he could ask me out because we worked together. He didn't want to make things awkward if I didn't like him that way. He was SO wrong! (I’m pretty sure he’s ok with being wrong in this instance.) So, we both went on doing our own thing.
Teaching? -
I love many aspects of accounting. I greatly enjoy the fulfillment that comes from explaining concepts to others, especially when the lightbulb goes on. So, I decided I might like teaching. So, I gave it a whirl and instructed an intro to accounting course at GMU for summer term 2009. I loved it! I was also still working at PwC, so life was insanely busy. All I did was work. Sleep?! I didn't know that existed! J So, I decided to make a career transition and become an accounting professor. I decided to obtain my PhD, so that I could make that dream a reality. I was leaning towards a few schools in TX or maybe AZ.
One night in July, I was grading exams, and Brad and his roomie, Steve, stopped by to bring me a shake. I was swamped grading, but invited them in to visit. We were chatting about life, and I asked them if they would ever move to
Quitting -
I had thought about quitting PwC in January 2010, but they offered a sabbatical plan. So, I thought about taking a sabbatical from Oct-Dec 2009. They didn't like the idea and said tax personnel were too busy. So, I decided to move up my quitting date to the end of September. As soon as Brad knew I was quitting and that I may be leaving to TX, he jumped on the opportunity!
First Date -
Our first "official" date was September 1, 2009 when he took me to one of my favorite restaurants, Coastal Flats to celebrate my birthday (which was the day before of August 31st, but we had a large bbq at my place to celebrate on my big day.) We had such a great time together! Two days after was his birthday (September 3), so I created a scavenger hunt for him. Ultimately, we ended up back at his place for cake and ice cream.
We were such good friends, and we both realized we really liked each other. He knew I was quitting, so we had the green light. Dating went so well! We enjoyed spending every moment together. Timing was huge in this equation! God knows what is best for each of us and has a plan for each of us!
woohoo a blog!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats friends!!! We are sure excited for May 22nd. Come live in Vienna!
ReplyDeleteThat is just disgustingly sweet. J/K Congratulations you guys. I'm way excited for you both.
ReplyDeleteOh, and P.S. Falls Church is way cooler than Vienna.
I'm so glad you wrote this down. It was fun to read it and relive all the experiences you told me about as they were happening. I am SO happy for both of you! And that we get to have Brad in our family :)
ReplyDeleteYea for blogging and your neat story. I was wondering why the timing of your relationship went the way it did and now I know- such a fun read. Thanks for sharing. I wish you both a wonderful wedding!! I look forward to seeing your, what I am sure will be, gorgeous pictures. All the best from PA. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHi Camille! It's BreeAnn! I loved reading both versions of the story! How fun! I am so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteSo fun to read the story :) I am so happy for you two! :)
ReplyDelete